Sunday, September 8, 2013

Nutrient Analysis: Introduction

For nearly three weeks now I've been drinking Hacker School Soylent for both breakfast and lunch. Zach did a great job with the recipe, which is both tasty and nutritious, and I've been enjoying some of the benefits of soylent: my hunger has been more even and my bowel has been more settled.

So, for the moment I'm planning to keep it up. It's time to start taking a look at the nutrition numbers and make certain I'm not poisoning myself. (Now, a prudent person might think that the appropriate time to do this is before starting on soylent in the first place.

Somewhat disconcerting is how much variance there is in the reporting of the vitamins and minerals between various sites. For instance, Zach states that there's up to 5g of potassium. Cron-o-meter finds 4.2g potassium. My original makesoylent recipe, however, found 226.8g potassium. The numbers from Zach and Cronometer can probably be accounted for by margins-of-error, but the makesoylent figure is almost two orders of magnitude more.

Looking through makesoylent, though, we see 5 different ingredient listings for Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal, with 3 different nutrient contents between them. The error is probably there. It would be great of one of the sites would allow us to indicate the source of the nutrition information--but so far I haven't found one. This series of posts is my attempt to justify the numbers that I am using.

Like my wife, you should assume that I am wrong and know nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment